We’d like to help in our neighbourhood … your ideas?

originally posted 19 November 2017

We’re looking for ways to help in our neighbourhood by making a positive difference for our neighbourhood.

We’d love to get your input and hear your ideas.

So… what are your thoughts and ideas on how to do this?

• what would make a positive difference
  • meet a neighbourhood need
  • help with community projects
  • possible activities or programming
  • we’re looking for your input about what can make a difference

Here’s how to let us know

• Leave a comment below*
  • Send us an email
  • Tweet us @StLukesPboro
  • Or call 705-742-6202

Blessings to you from the people at St Luke’s

*Comments are moderated for approval

18 Comments

1. Karen McKnight on 4 December 2017 at 9:52 PM

Such a great idea to ask the community for inspiration!

I run a program right in your backyard at Armour Heights! “Isthmus” helps by sending food home on weekends for students who don’t have enough to get them through from Friday to Monday. We send 16 backpacks home with students from Armour and our sister school King George. If you have interest in organizing a miniature food drive (seeking granola bars, fruit cups, apple sauce cups, etc) it would have a wonderful impact on our students!

Thank you for the chance to advocate for our kids!!
    Karen

• Father Glenn on 4 December 2017 at 11:47 PM

Hi Karen,

Thanks for letting us know about your important work. At Christmas, we do provide a number of hampers for distribution by Armour Heights. The on-going work that you do sounds to be filling a significant need throughout the year. Your suggestion is great and we will put it together among the other ideas/suggestions for us to ponder. Thank you for letting us know.

Blessings to you for your support of young people!

Glenn

2. Father Glenn on 4 December 2017 at 3:38 PM

Greetings to all, and thanks to those who have left comments or otherwise been in touch!

These are great ideas. Thanks. I wanted to make sure you know we appreciate this input. We will be working these ideas into the planning we now have underway. We need to take into account what resources we have to accomplish specific initiatives. We do think there are ideas that will fit.

So, please stay tuned. Also, I will be in touch to follow up on ideas. I just want to make sure you know that we’re working on things.

Thanks again and blessings to you in the Season of Advent,

Glenn +

Parish priest

3. Batb on 28 November 2017 at 10:05 PM

I think doing some old fashion door to door singing Christmas carols. I loved when people came to my house as a child . It really puts you in the Christmas mood !

• Father Glenn on 4 December 2017 at 11:57 PM

Thanks, Barb,
      This is a great idea.

Glenn

4. Shannon on 28 November 2017 at 4:53 PM

I suggest a once a month evening group or function to address and accept questions about the ‘big questions’ of faith that don’t always get enough time and attention at a sunday service. Themed of course, so that people have time to really dig into the meat of the topics.

• Father Glenn on 28 November 2017 at 5:08 PM

Thank you, Shannon.

Glenn

5. Shannon on 28 November 2017 at 4:48 PM

I think we should look into getting coverage from Life radio for our larger events to get more attention and add some more excitement. Here’s the link to the request page for the street team: https://lifeonline.fm/bookstreetteam.php

6. Sheri from East city on 25 November 2017 at 10:32 AM

Good morning father Glenn! I do have a couple of suggestions. How about a ” East city singles night ? It could be with a speaker/ meal or board games. It could be a fundraiser. I’m a single person who doesn’t go to bars and I would love to meet someone in a safe environment.
    Idea #2: do you have a night / day when you talk about those we lost? I find the holidays an especially hard time . I was close to my younger brother who passed 2 years ago Dec 14. My mother is now in palliative care. It would be nice to not feel like I’m going through this alone . Thank you

• Father Glenn on 25 November 2017 at 11:52 PM

Hi Sheri,

These are excellent ideas. I’ll get in touch to follow up and explore further.

Please know of my/our prayer for your Mom and for you.

Blessings,

Glenn

• Sheri from East city on 26 November 2017 at 10:18 PM

Thank you. I wasn’t sure how you’d feel about the singles idea, but I think everyone deserves love and finding someone online isn’t for me.
        Thank you for mentioning my mom. Watching what she is going through is similar to my brother. Heartbreaking.

• Father Glenn on 28 November 2017 at 5:12 PM

Blessings to you,

Glenn

7. Doug Woods on 20 November 2017 at 10:51 AM

Well, that sign is an excellent start. Listening is the key to being useful; the old “If you build it they will come” argument doesn’t work. Whatever we might “build”, we know it’s useful only if our community says so. Another opportunity for listening would be the monthly community meals.

8. Linda Piers on 19 November 2017 at 9:11 PM

Hi there…my thoughts

DROP IN FOR A CHAT…Need a drive….call us ……

Warm up over tea/ coffee. ( time given)

Purpose. LISTEN, to Storytelling, needs, offers…just listen!

Suggest we offer “ Meet our neighbours” or “In the Neighborhood “ at least twice a week, start with an hour each time for now.

I would be happy to give an hour + twice over the week ( maybe one in morning and one afternoon)

• Father Glenn on 19 November 2017 at 9:15 PM

Great ideas!!!!! Thanks, Linda.

Glenn